We often think that choice is a good thing for customers. Yet behavioral studies show that more choice leads to less action. A single, simplified call-to-action not only spurs more action but grabs more attention.
Giving customers too many choices can start a psychological process known as "Overchoice
". People become overwhelmed by calculating all the possible outcomes of their decision. Rather than making a decision, they will often end up leaving.
To avoid Overchoice
, we need to take a careful look at what to trim or remove
. Links, buttons, text and images should all be weighed against the primary CTA. Be ruthless. If they don’t support the decision to take the next step, then off with their heads.
When building an engaging call-to-action, consider the following:
- Color and shape. Is there enough contrast between the CTA and rest of the content? Is the potential decision clear to user? Does it look like something a user can interact with?
- Position and spacing. Is the CTA in a prominent, clear from distracting text or background images?
- Copy. Does the CTA's copy clarify the decision, (Start your free 30-day trial. No credit card required.) or is it too vague (Get started)?
Just as important as the design of the CTA, what happens after that click can be the difference between a dissatisfied or loyal customer.
The follow up strategy is vital in the legitimacy and trust a potential consumer will put in your brand. By clicking the CTA, they have officially initiated a relationship with you. Your team must have a follow up strategy integrated into your business plan that will provide the necessary next steps to move this lead through the funnel.
Here are some questions you should ask when designing that next product or landing page.
- Are they brought to a confirmation page after clicking the CTA?
- What next step instructions do we need to provide them?
- How can they reach out for help or additional questions?
- Will they receive a confirmation email or call from a sales representative?
For more tips on how to improve your landing page strategy, chat with our team today